Even a beginner can attempt this recipe with success. Made from products you can easily buy from the supermarket. If you are feeling adventurous try making homemade custard with the recipe below.
The secret for a delicious trifle is to mix the jelly with the strawberry syrup out of the can.
The trifle is hundreds of years old although the ingredients have changed a little over the years. In the 1500's the trifle was made up of thick sugary cream, flavoured with ginger and rosewater.
It makes a great dessert at Christmas time, Thanksgiving Day, Easter, family dinners or just when you fancy it. Our trifle is alcohol free so even young children can enjoy it. If you would prefer to taste a little sherry or brandy then replace 3 tablespoons of alcohol with 3 tablespoons of water from the jelly.
A trifle is a thing of beauty and should be the focus of attention on the table - no plastic bowls here - only your very best!
1. Break the trifle sponges up into small pieces and place on the floor of the trifle bowl so that it covers the base.
2. Open the can of strawberries and pour the syrup into a cup and the strawberries over the trifle sponges.
3. Make the jelly as per instructions but replace some of the water with the syrup you poured into the cup.
4. Pour the jelly over the strawberries and sponges.
5. Leave to set in a cool place.
6. When the jelly is set, make the custard as instructions on packet.
7. Allow the custard to cool before pouring over the jelly mix in your trifle bowl.
8. Whisk the double cream until it stands on peaks and spread over the top of the custard.
9. Decorate with a few fresh strawberries and serve.
1. Put the vanilla pod, lemon rind and milk in a pan and bring to the boil.
2. Leave the milk to cool a little.
3. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar in a bowl.
4. Strain the milk into the bowl with the eggs and sugar.
5. Put the bowl, a double boiler, or over a pan of boiling water and stir until the mixture thickens.
6. When your homemade custard is ready it should coat the back of a spoon.
7. Allow the custard to cool and pour over the set jelly.
8. Complete your strawberry trifle recipe by topping with cream and decorating with strawberries.
Your trifle will store in a refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Other relevant pages:
pumpkin pie spice recipe
Return to : easy summer desserts
Click to Print This Page