How To Freeze BlueberriesGo straight to our recipes
If you want to know how to freeze blueberries, it just couldn't be easier.
BuyFresh berries are available in supermarkets all year round, although if you want to pick your own,
then they are best from June until August. Buy organic which has already been washed.
Blueberries are best frozen when they are not wet, therefore organic is best as they won't have unnecessary chemicals on them.
Blueberries can easily be eaten raw or delicious accompanied with cream, although they are usually put into pies, jams, cheesecakes and desserts. Why not try making our blueberry muffins or smoothie recipe below.
NutritionBlueberries are a great source of vitamin C and have lots of fibre. Antioxidants are being talked about all the time and the blueberries have lots of them, making them great for anti ageing and cancer prevention.
How to freeze blueberries
You will need:
Take the blueberries and spread them over a flat tray.
Pop the flat tray into the freezer for about 3 hours.
Once the blueberries are frozen take them out of the freezer.
Fill the freezer bags with the blueberries and seal before popping them back into the freezer until they are required.
Blueberry Muffin RecipeWhen it comes to muffins there is nothing nicer to taste and to look at than a muffin made with fresh blueberries.
Pre heat oven 200C 400F gas 6
12 muffin baking tray
Method for blueberry muffin recipe
- 275g or 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1tsp of baking powder
- 75g or 6 tablespoons of sugar
- 250ml or 1 cup of milk
- 3 beaten eggs
- 115g or 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2-3 drops of vanilla essence
- 225g or 2 cups of blueberries
1. Sieve the flour and baking powder together into a bowl.
2. Mix in the sugar.
3. In another bowl mix the eggs, butter, vanilla essence together.
4. Fold the flour mix into the egg mix. Don't be tempted to mix the mixture too much as this will make the muffins tough.
5. Fold in the blueberries.
6. Put the mixture into the muffin tray, divided between 12 portions.
7. Bake for about 25 minutes.
8. After they are brown and golden, remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire tray.
Best eaten the same day.
Blueberry SmoothieBlueberries are so tasty they really give a zing to a smoothie. Adding yogurt and banana makes it a healthy way to start the day instead of cereal or toast which are largely empty calories. Or why not make a blueberry smoothie at supper time instead of snacking when you are craving for something sweet.
Frozen (thawed) or fresh blueberries can be used.
Put all the ingredients into a blender for about 1 minute before pouring the blueberry smoothie into a glass with ice. For a special treat add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- 1 carton of banana or vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 banana
- 1 teaspoon of honey
Now you know how to freeze blueberries, you can enjoy our blueberry muffins recipe and blueberry smoothie at any time.
Return to top of this page: how to freeze blueberries
Other relevant pages:
mustard pickles recipe
how to dehydrate fruit
Return to home page: fruit and vegetable recipes
Click to Print This Page