Healthy Oatmeal Cookie RecipeGo straight to recipe
This healthy oatmeal cookie recipe is one of my favourites. It can easily be made for the kids coming out of school or friends coming round for a coffee. However they also make an ideal treat to take on a picnic or to pop into a lunch box.
Benefits of oatmeal
These cookies are full of oatmeal and are just brimming over with fibre so if you are worried about constipation then top up on the oatmeal.
Try adding chopped dried prunes to this recipe instead of cherries for added roughage.
Oatmeal is a great food source for anyone with a heart condition as it helps to lower bad cholesterol.
Taking 3grms of oatmeal daily is a good preventative measure.
Oatmeal gives your body a slow release of energy, therefore keeping your blood sugar levels balanced for longer and your hunger pangs at bay.
Get the kids involvedThis healthy oatmeal cookie recipe is very easy to make and doesn’t take long to bake. In fact this is an ideal recipe to get the kids involved when they are fed up on a rainy day. In this recipe I have used cherries, however you could replace the cherries with dried apricots, sultanas or, as mentioned earlier, chopped dried prunes.
Healthy Oatmeal Cookie RecipePre heat oven 180C 350F Gas 4
You will need
a flat baking sheet
- 75g or 6tbls of low fat margarine
- 250g or 1 1/3 cups of soft brown sugar
- 3tbls of soft brown sugar for topping
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 5ml or 1tsp of vanilla essence
- 175g or 1 ½ cups of flour
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- ½ tsp of salt
- 175g or 1 ½ cups of soaked oatmeal
- 75g or ½ cup of chopped glace cherries
- 60ml or ¼ cup of low fat milk
1. Grease the baking sheet.
2. Mix the butter and sugar together until they are creamy.
3. In another bowl beat the eggs, egg yolk and vanilla essence together, before adding it to the butter/sugar mix.
4. Slowly, by adding a little at a time, mix in the flour, salt and baking powder.
5. Mix the chopped cherries into the mixture.
6. Lastly mix in the soaked oatmeal.
7. Taking a spoonful at a time, place onto the baking sheet making sure each spoonful has space before the next.
8. Sprinkle the remaining 3tbls of soft brown sugar over the top of the cookies.
9. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until they are golden brown.
10. Cool on a wire tray.
Enjoy your healthy oatmeal cookie
Return to top of this page: healthy oatmeal cookie recipe
Return to : homemade cake recipes
Return to home page: fruit and vegetable recipes
Click to Print This Page