Fresh Asparagus RecipesGo straight to our recipes
We have found two of the best fresh asparagus recipes. One is a starter with melon and ham and the other is a slightly different version of Bruschettas. Asparagus has been around since the ancient Greeks picked them wild to eat and then the Romans came along and cultivated them. Even Julius Caesar was rather partial to a few asparagus with melted butter.
There are green asparagus and a slightly more expensive white asparagus in the shops. The only difference is when they are grown the white ones are deprived of sunlight so they grow without chlorophyll.
When to BuyAlthough asparagus can be bought at any time in our shops they are best eaten when they are fresh in season which is from early spring until summer. Enjoy the wonderful flavour of our fresh asparagus recipes which are very simple to cook and can be eaten with almost any dish.
When buying asparagus the tops should be tightly furled and the stalks should stand straight. They can be stored for a few days if kept refrigerated.
The bottom of the asparagus may appear to be hard and woody, if this is the case then it's best to chop it off.
Health BenefitsAsparagus is full of vitamin A, B2, and C not to mention potassium, iron and calcium. In fact itís a food you can eat knowing it's full of goodness.
Fresh Asparagus Recipes
Asparagus BruschettasMakes 6
- 12 asparagus spears
- 6 thin slices of crusty bread
- 6tbls olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 225g goats cheese
- handful of rocket leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook the asparagus1.Trim the asparagus
2. Take a frying pan and fill it half way with water. Bring to the boil.
3. Cook the asparagus for 3-4 minutes.
4. Drain and dry the frying pan.
Make the toast into asparagus bruschettas1. Halve the garlic. Crush one half of the garlic mix into the olive oil.
2. Brush the olive oil onto the bread on both sides.
3. Toast both sides of the bread for 1-2 minutes until crisp and slightly brown.
4. Take the second half of garlic and rub onto the toasted bread.
5. Spread the goats cheese over the bread in equal portions.
6. Place the cooked asparagus on top of the goats cheese.
7. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over the toast and any olive oil that is left.
8. Serve while asparagus bruschettas hot.
return from fresh asparagus recipes to grilled asparagus recipe
Click to Print This Page
Asparagus with Melon and HamServes 4
- 225g asparagus spears
- 1 small melon (Galia or cantaloupe)
- 55g thinly sliced ham
- 150g mixed salad leaves
- 85g raspberries
- 1tbsp parmesan cheese
The DressingIf you havenít already, invest in a salad mixer bottle. It really does make sense. Norpro Salad Dressing Maker with Mixer
- 1tbls balsamic vinegar
- 2tbls raspberry vinegar
- 2tbls orange juice
Method for asparagus with melon and ham1. Trim the asparagus and put them into a pan of boiling water to cook for about 3-4 minutes.
2. Drain and run the asparagus under the cold water tap.
3. Cut the melon into small wedges cutting away the skin.
4. Wrap a piece of ham around each melon wedge.
5. Arrange the salad leaves on a plate and place the asparagus on top.
6. Arrange the melon wedges on top of the asparagus.
7. Sprinkle the raspberries and parmesan cheese over the plate.
Make the dressingPut all the dressing ingredients into a salad bottle and shake. Drizzle over asparagus with melon and ham dish and serve.
Enjoy your fresh asparagus recipes.