For those chocoholics with a sweet tooth we have added white chocolate to our sponge, giving it texture with an extra crunch. Have you ever tried melting chocolate on strawberries - easy to make and heaven for a sweet tooth.?
This really is an easy strawberry shortcake recipe to make, in fact as easy as making a sponge cake. The only cooking required is making the sponge base. After which all you need to do is a little beating of the cream and finish off by slicing some strawberries. Trust me this is easy!
When buying strawberries they should be red, plump and healthy looking. Don't go for the ones which are green as they will not ripen any further and won't have as much flavour as the ripened ones. They must be eaten fairly quickly after purchasing as they will only keep one or two days in a refrigerator after picking or purchasing.
Before you get your ingredients out of the kitchen cupboard. Take a little greaseproof paper and place your baking tin on top of it. Now draw round the tin. Cut the circle out of the greaseproof paper and place into your baking tin. This will help prevent your sponge sticking to the bottom of the tin and make it much easier to get out once cooked.
2. Mix the butter into the flour and icing sugar by rubbing the mixtures between your thumb and index finger until they are mixed well and form a dough.
3. Mix the egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of cream into the dough.
4. Put the mixture into the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
5. Divide the mixture between two 23cm circular baking tins.
6. Bake for 15 minutes.
7. Take out the oven and allow to cool.
8. Whip the cream until it stands on peaks.
9. Slice the strawberries.
10. Mix the strawberries and the sugar into the cream.
11. Take one of the cold halves of shortcake and pile the strawberries and cream on top of it.
12. Take the other cold half of the shortcake and cut it into 8 triangles.
13. Now arrange the triangles on top of the strawberries and cream.
14. Sprinkle a little icing sugar on top of your easy strawberry shortcake recipe.
Click to Print This Page