Cauliflower Cheese RecipeGo straight to our recipes
A cauliflower cheese recipe is one of the oldest and easiest meals to cook. Unless you are someone who just doesn't like cheese then you are going to love this very simple dish which can be made either as a meal in itself or as a side dish to accompany a meat course.
A member of the cabbage family the cauliflower is thought to have originated in the Middle East and weaved its way to our dining tables in the size of a small tennis ball. They have been cultivated since to be the size we see in the shops today; however all fashions go in circles and the small cauliflower is now making a comeback.
NourishmentWhile enjoying our cauliflower cheese recipe you can relax in the knowledge that it's providing your body with potassium, iron, zinc, vitamin A and C. All foods lose some of their goodness in cooking and unfortunately the cauliflower is no different.
BuyingWhen you buy your cauliflowers, look for ones which are a creamy white where the outer leaves feel fresh and bouncy. There should be no black spots or discoloration on the cauliflower itself. A cauli can be stored in a cool place for up to 2 days after this they start to wilt.
CookingCauliflowers are best boiled or steamed. Some people prefer to eat them raw, and eating them in this way will certainly give you the maximum nourishment they can provide. In our recipe we are going to boil them. Take the outer leaves off the vegetable before washing it. Break it into small florets. The size of florets will depend on how long they need cooked.
Return to top of this page: cauliflower cheese recipe
Cauliflower Cheese RecipeServes about 4-6 people depending on the size of the cauliflower.
Pop your florets into a pan of boiling water and cook for about 12 minutes. The florets should not resist a knife gliding through them when they are ready.
For the cheese sauce
Use mature cheese as it has a stronger flavour which will come out in your sauce.
- 300ml (half pint) milk
- 15g butter
- 15g flour
- Salt and pepper
- 75 g grated mature cheese (leave a little for topping)
1. Melt the butter in a pan
2. Mix the flour in with the butter
3. Cook very gently stirring all the time for about 2 minutes
4. Remove from the heat and add the milk and seasoning to the pan, stirring all the time otherwise lumps may form in the sauce.
5. Return to the heat still stirring and allow to boil. The mixture will start to thicken.
6. Remove from the heat and add the grated cheese.
Drain your florets and place in a large bowl before pouring the cheese sauce over them.
Sprinkle a little grated cheese on the top before serving immediately.
Cauliflower Cheese Recipe with ChiliServes about 4-6 people depending on the size of the cauliflower.
1. Cook the cauliflower whole with the stalk facing downwards in the pan.
- 1 large cauliflower
- Make the sauce as above
- 25g grated cheese for topping
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
2. Boil for about 15 minutes.
3. Drain and place in an ovenproof dish face upwards.
4. Make the cheese sauce as above but adding the chili powder at the same time as the milk.
5. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and sprinkle 25g grated cheese over the top.
6. Pop under the grill and allow to brown.
7. Serve and enjoy your cauliflower cheese recipe.
Other relevant pages:
spinach cheese quiche
easy yellow squash recipes
Return to home page: fruit and vegetable recipes
Click to Print This Page