Original Caesar Salad Dressing RecipesGo straight to our recipes
The only thing that limits you making original Caesar salad dressing recipes is your imagination. The base of the dressing is olive oil and vinegar. Don't just pick any olive oil and vinegar off the shelf - but go for the tastier ones.
Buying Olive OilThere are many hundreds of varieties of olive trees all producing olives which have a slightly different taste. In fact choosing an olive oil is almost as difficult as choosing a wine. The way to go about this difficult task is to decide what the oil has to be used for. For the purpose of our original Caesar salad dressing recipes we are going to use Virgin oil which has a light taste, ideal for salads. If you prefer a touch stronger taste, go for the extra virgin oil.
Buying Vinegar Choosing the vinegar can be just as confusing. Go for a balsamic vinegar which is not the cheapest on the shelf. Balsamic vinegar is made from grapes which have gone through a long process, sometimes years to reach a taste of excellence. The price usually dictates how old the balsamic is, the more expensive - the older and tastier it will be. The older the bottle - the thicker and sweeter the product will be.
When you were at school you were taught oil and other liquids such as vinegar just don't mix together. You will notice that once you have mixed your base salad dressing together in a bottle and allowed it to settle, the oil and liquid separate. This is normal but it does mean that immediately before using, you must give the bottle another shake.
Base Sauceoriginal Caesar salad dressing recipes
Pour all the ingredients into a bottle and shake.
- 2-3tbls of Virgin Olive Oil
- 1tbls of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2tsp of mustard
Here are some ideas to enhance the flavour
- tomato puree
- lemon juice
- liquidised fruit, such as raspberries or grapes
Thick easy original Caesar salad dressing recipe
Mix the two ingredients together and pour over the salad.
- 200g light mayonnaise
- 4tbls of sour cream
Caesar Salad RecipeThis recipe only takes minutes to make. As well as the ingredients we have suggested, you could add others such as tomatoes, pineapple, apple, and celery. Some people like to add chunks of chicken or fish, such as salmon.
1. Make your croutons.
- 1 small baguette
- 2 romaine lettuces
- 3 garlic cloves
- 150g parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
2. Cut the baguette into small chunks.
3. Squash the 2 garlic cloves and scatter over the baguette chunks.
4. Drizzle 2tbls of olive oil over the chunks and garlic cloves.
5. Bake in a pre heated oven of 200C, 400F or gas 6 - for 8 minutes.
6. Line a salad bowl with some large leaves of the lettuce.
7. Chop the remaining lettuce into strips and add to the bowl.
8. Sprinkle the cold croutons over the lettuce.
9. Sprinkle the cheese over the lettuce.
10. Season with salt and pepper.
11. Drizzle your original Caesar salad dressing recipe over the salad.
Return to top of this page: original caesar salad dressing recipe
Other relevant pages:
easy salad recipes
Return to home page: fruit and vegetable recipes
Click to Print This Page