Black Bean Salad RecipesGo straight to our recipes
Black bean salad recipes are becoming more and more popular as people become more aware of this little versatile appetizing bean. Sometimes known as the turtle bean or Spanish bean, they are a very popular addition to salads and casseroles.
One of the drawbacks of using dried black beans is, of course, you must soak them first - otherwise they will take for ever to cook. The longer they are soaked the quicker they will cook, although the age of the bean has also to be considered with the cooking time.
Why do you want to go to the bother of using dried beans instead of canned? The answer is easy: they taste so much better. Black beans are full of fibre and protein and for anyone worried about ageing then they are full of anti-oxidants.
Black Bean Salad Recipes
Black Bean with ChilliServe 4 (8 servings as side dish)
1. Take the dried black beans and cover them with cold water.
- 2 cups of dried black beans
- 1 1/2 cups of sweet corn
- 1 avocado
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 6 onions
- 1 chilli pepper
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
2. Leave for 8 hours or overnight to soak.
3. After soaking, drain the beans and put into a pan with water.
4. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 hours or until the beans are soft and tender.
5. Allow the beans to cool.
1. Chop the bell pepper, tomatoes, onions and chilli pepper into small pieces.
2. De-stone the avocado and slice it into small pieces.
3. In a salad bowl, mix all the vegetables with the avocado together with salt and pepper.
1. Take a small bottle and with the garlic, salt and pepper, pour the olive oil into it.
2. Put the cap on the bottle and shake the liquid.
3. Pour the dressing over the salad mix.
4. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Best eaten on the same day that it's made.
Black Bean, Rice and CheeseThe second of our black bean salad recipes has rice and cheese which makes it a little different.
4 servings (8 servings as side dish)
1. Put the dried black beans into a bowl of water and soak overnight or for 8 hours.
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 1 cup of dried black beans
- 3 tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of parsley
- 1/4 cup of Italian dressing
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- large lettuce leaves
2. Once the beans have been soaked, drain them and put them into a pan of water.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 hours or until soft and tender.
4. Allow the beans to cool before using them in the salad.
1. Chop the tomatoes and parsley into small pieces.
2. Mix the cooked cold rice with the cold beans and tomatoes.
3. Gently mix in the cheese and parsley.
1. Pour the Italian dressing and lime juice over the salad mix.
2. Cover the base and sides of a salad bowl with lettuce leaves.
3. Spoon the salad mix into the salad bowl.
Best eaten on the same day.
Enjoy your black bean salad recipes
Return to top of this page: black bean salad recipes
Other relevant pages: easy salad recipes
Return to home page: fruit and vegetable recipes
Click to Print This Page